Thursday, February 01, 2018

IS MATHS MEANINGFUL IN REAL WORLD ECONOMICS?

Allan Sleeman, Economics Department of Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA 98225, has written a draft paper that is very close to my own albeit somewhat muddled thinking on there being something wrong with traditional economic teachings on basic microeconomics, let alone Nobel Prize-winning maths constructs earning high incomes and prestige for their compilers. 
I used to deliver the S-D constructs to first-year students of economics long ago in the late1960s through for many years into the 1980s. 
I am not able to post  Alan Sleeman’s paper on Lost Legacy at the request of the author, but I recommend that teachers of economics contact Allan Sleeman to request a copy of it:
Yes, it is basic stuff but if there is something wrong with its ideas surely we should think about its wider implications?
I certainly have on and off in recent years, especially where the widespread use of mathematics is so prevalent, and worse, is taken so seriously by scholars and policy makers.

Perhaps I shall return to this subject in due course…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home