Monday, June 17, 2013

ANNOUNCEMENT


In August 2012, I received a letter from the Principal of Heriot-Watt University informing me that the University was to award me the degree of Honorary D.Litt and that my graduation would take place on 18 June, 2013. 

I was enjoined to make no pubic statements about the award until my graduation, a condition I have adhered to until late on the 17th (though it is already the 18th east of Australia).

The award of an Honorary D.Litt is a singular academic honour in British Universities.   It was not sought nor expected by me and news of the award was both surprising and extremely gratifying.  

It caps a 44-year postgraduate academic career in ways I never anticipated.  The esteem of one’s long-standing colleagues, both those I worked well with and with those with whom I had occasional ‘differences’, is worth more than anything I can explain, even to my family.

Readers will understand if today I do not post much, if anything (though old habits may ‘kick-in’!).

Thank you.

5 Comments:

Blogger mus said...

Gavin: Congratulations. Very well deserved.

Brian Ferguson

9:16 pm  
Blogger The Arthurian said...

Indeed, congratulations sir.
Grinning like a Cheshire cat, I bet.

10:57 pm  
Blogger Gavin Kennedy said...

Arthurian and MUS
Thank you for your kind congratulations.
It was wonderful day, with several prominent men and women also now retired from the years I spent at Heriot-Watt, as well as a full-house of the present generation, including the new Chancellor and the new University Principal.
I found it both tiring (all the standing) and adrenalin stimulating. The Edinburgh Business School staff ere in solid attendance and as usual, everything went like clockwork.
Yes, I had no trouble grinning something like Cheshire Cat too.
Gavin

6:19 am  
Blogger Willy B Good said...

Congratulations Professor, hope you enjoyed the moment and thanks for all your work on this site. Well done.

3:16 pm  
Blogger gune said...

D.Litt is awarded to the best.It is to be rewarded at best.

Best wishes,
Gune

11:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home