Thursday, July 22, 2010

Announcement XXIV

Friday, 23rd, I plan to be en route to France by road (and tunnel) for four weeks, which I left in June, expecting to be in Scotland for a fortnight, but events intervened necessitating hospitalisation.

I am now in recovery and expect the relative quiet of rural life in France to be an aid to these plans.

As usual, there will be Internet connection problems, but of necessity there will be less of an urgency to connect on my part, which you may notice has been a bit of a problem recently.

While I hope to Blog on Lost Legacy, I shall be doing so less regularly until I return in September.

I am advised to do as little as I can to ensure a quicker and surer recovery. Regular walks and daily swimming are on the agenda. Little sitting at computer too.

Above all, I am advised not to get too intense in feelings about things that I care a lot about, of which Lost Legacy is top of the list.

Apologies for all this, but my family considers it is in my best interests. (But nobody can stop me thinking!)

Let’s see how I get on for a while.

Gavin

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Donald Pretari said...

Dear Gavin,

I have been trying unsuccessfully to get a copy to email you of Frank Knight's essay in The Encyclopedia Britannica of 1951 called "Economics", in which he gives his views on Adam Smith. I think it would interest you if you can manage to find it. It is also in his book entitled "On the History and Method of Economics".

I will soon email you my email address so I can read your new paper.

I hope you find your time in France restful and enjoyable.

Take care,

Don the libertarian Democrat

PS I'll keep trying to find the essay by Knight online.

5:08 am  
Blogger Terry said...

Enjoy your break Gavin and do what your family and doctor orders. I recommend the walks though I can't vouch for the swimming. Difficult to break the computer habit because it's The Portal onto the world but rationing your trips through the door is a way of acclimatising to change.

One query. Is the Invisible Hand metaphor the only figure of speech Smith uses in TWN?

Terry

7:27 am  
Blogger Maxine Udall (girl economist) said...

Fare well and grow healthier, Professor Kennedy. We'll wait.

1:16 am  
Blogger Gavin Kennedy said...

Terry

Smith uses various metaphors in WN and TMS:
WN. Book II.chapter 2. paragraph 86, page 321:
'if I may be allowed so violent a metaphor, a sort of waggon-way through the air'

and:

'suspended by the Daedalian wings of paper money'.

There are several others.

Gavin

1:11 pm  
Blogger Gavin Kennedy said...

Don

Thanks. Looks interesting.

Gavin

1:12 pm  
Blogger Smithian Economist said...

Dear Gavin,

Best wishes on your recovery.

Best,

Andres Guzman

6:39 am  
Blogger Eran said...

Dear Gavin,

Best wishes on your recovery.

Eran

12:52 am  
Blogger Mousqueton said...

Dear Mr. Kenedy:

Reading you has become such a vital and delightful pleasure that even at the risk of sounding selfish I would encourage you to take good care of yourself.
Best regards;

6:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home