Saturday, November 05, 2005

New Light on Turgot's Influence on Smith?

Last month (October 15) I wrote about an edition of Turgot’s “Réflexions sur la formation et la Distribution des Riches” (Reflections on the creation and distribution of Wealth, 1766) and how its translator had managed to link both Turgot and Smith to the development of ‘capitalism’ nearly a 100 years before the word (and the phenomenon) were invented.

I am now in the midst of reading (plus the other items on my desk) a most interesting little volume entitled: “Turgot’s Unknown Translator: the Reflexions and Adam Smith” by I. C. Lindberg (Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague, The Netherlands, 1964). The gist, so far, is that an early translation of this interesting, and seminal account, may have been undertaken by Smith. This is exegetical analysis (forensic in its detail) of a very high degree.

I will report when I have finished it (68 pages to go). If anybody knows anything about Lindberg’s volume, or himself/herself, I would be most grateful for any information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home